Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Where are the Monarchs?


Monarch Butterfly on Common Milkweed

Until last Tuesday (July 23rd) I had not seen a confirmed Monarch Butterfly (Danaus plexippus) this Summer - I had several possible sightings in late June, but couldn't confirm any of them.  Last summer was a great time for Monarchs in the Mid-Michigan.  My wife and I raised more Monarchs from eggs or caterpillars to adult than we had in any other year.  Unfortunately, conditions were not so good for Monarchs in the rest of the United States, consequently overwintering populations were at their lowest number in 20 years.  With such low populations (and lingering effects of the 2012 drought) it takes a long time for Monarchs to make their way back to the northern United States, but they are finally here.  In the last week i have seen four adult Monarchs.  I am still looking for my first egg and caterpillar.

Is anyone else seeing Monarchs?

No comments:

Post a Comment