Thursday, March 13, 2014

"Petoskey Stones" Are Corals - An article from Nature Magazine (January 1942)

Last March I wrote an article about four fossils that had been found around Michigan.  One of the fossils that I wrote about was a "Petoskey Stone".  A Petoskey Stone is a fossilized colony of  Hexagonaria coral which lived in Michigan during the Devonian period (more than 350 million years ago).

Today I was looking through several old copies of Nature Magazine from the 1940s - not to be confused with Nature magazine.  Nature Magazine was published by the American Nature Association from 1923 to 1959 before being absorbed by the magazine Natural History. On page 46 of the January 1942 issue of Nature Magazine, I found this short article about the Petoskey Stone that I thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment