Thursday, May 26, 2016

First Monarch and eggs of 2016

A bonus post today.

I went out in the field behind the office to check on the growth of milkweed plants.  To my surprise, a Monarch Butterfly (Danaus Plexippus) popped up from behind a clump of grapevines.  I ran across the field to follow it.  When it finally landed on a Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca), I could see that it was a female.  Of course, I was violating the First Rule of Photography (TAKE YOUR CAMERA WITH YOU.) so I didn't get any pictures of her.

After she took off, I saw that she had laid two eggs on the plant.  After getting my camera, I photographed them and then found a third egg in the area where I originally spotted the Monarch.

A pair of Monarch eggs on a Common Milkweed plant (26 May 2016)
TAKE YOUR CAMERA WITH YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment