Monday, November 14, 2016

Full Moon


The full moon last night was absolutely beautiful. 

Full moon (13 November 2016)

I took about two dozen photographs over the course of 15 minutes, trying out different apertures (the size of the opening in the lens) on my camera.  For the photo geeks, this picture was show with a Canon EOS 60D camera and a Canon 100-400mm lens (at 400mm).  The cameras was set at f/25 and the length of the shot was 3/10th second.  It was then cropped down to this size.

I rarely take pictures of the moon.  Until recently, I did not have a camera lens really capable of taking good images of it.  My best efforts in the past have been okay, but lacked a lot of detail.

To me the best part of this picture is being able to see all of the impact craters on the moon's surface.  The craters are named after famous astronomers throughout history.  For instance the large crater Tycho in the bottom right quarter is named after the Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe (1546 - 1601)

Some major craters of the moon

No comments:

Post a Comment