Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Ice, leaves, and more at Mill Pond Park (22 November 2016)

A light week of programming means that I get to spend time outside!

Yesterday, on my way back to the office, I stopped at Mill Pond Park for a short walk through the woods.  The night had been quite cold (my thermometer in my truck read 21 degrees this morning when I left home) and even by 11:00 there was still ice on the pond and lots of frost in the woods.  I love cold autumn days like this.

The semi-frozen surface of the mill pond
 
Maple leaves under the ice - Sedges above the ice
 
Empty Swamp Milkweed seed pods

The long lines are needle-like ice crystals forming on the surface of the mill pond

Willow leaves frozen on the ice

Mulberry and other leaves frozen in the pond

Boxelder seeds and leaves on top of Mulberry leaves

Fall sedges and rushes

Burdock burs

Boxelder seeds


A large area of windfall - most of these trees are Green Ash trees killed by the Emerald Ash Borer

Barberry - an invasive species

Virgin's Bower (also known as Old Man's Beard)

An old dying tree in the woods
  
A male Northern Cardinal

Silhouetted Mallard pair

No comments:

Post a Comment