Tuesday, April 10, 2018

National Library Week (April 8 - 14, 2018)



It's National Library Week!

Do you notice where the compass arrow is pointing in the picture above?

Libraries have had a huge impact on my growth as a lifelong learner.  I have probably had library cards from a dozen different library systems in my life.  Every member of my family regularly reads books, magazines, and newspapers.  My parents always made sure we went to the public library on a regular basis. 

The most influential library in my life was the Elsie Public Library in Elsie, MI.  I went to the Elsie library from 4th Grade until I graduated high school.  Even in 4th Grade, I mainly checked out books from the adult section of the library.  History was by far my favorite subject; I especially liked the Time-Life series of books that covered World War II, the Civil War, and the Old West. 

The librarian in Elsie at the time was Ms. Orpha Clement.  She would have been in her eighties at the time and was the sweetest lady.  When she finally retired, she moved into the retirement home right next door to the library.  I remember stopping to visit her there one summer when I was home from college.

After high school, I attended college at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago on an Army ROTC scholarship.  I graduated in 1997 with a degree in History.  During my senior year I spent hours not only in IIT's Paul V. Galvin Library, but in libraries across the city of Chicago doing research for my senior thesis.  Even better, this was the early age of the internet and I was able to request books from libraries across the state and even across the country!  Today we take instant access to knowledge for granted, but back then I had to wait days or even weeks for books or articles that today can be accessed in seconds.  I couldn't have survived without the library and its staff.

I don't visit the library as often as I used to.  I have so many books at home to read now - I think I am almost finished with #19 for the year, and am part way through #19 and #20.  Even though libraries don't play as an important part in my life now as they used to, it is entirely possible (probably likely) that I would not be where I am today or who I am today if I had not had access to the public library as a kid.

If you don't have a library card, go get one.  It could change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment